Steve Bell ~ singer/ songwriter/ storyteller
Steve Bell | Short Bio | 2012
Born into a musical family, Steve Bell has been performing and touring since he was eight years old. As Steve’s father was a prison Chaplain, it was federal prisoners in Drumheller Penitentiary who taught the young boy to play guitar at an early age. Bell recounts fondly, “I now perform world-over because Canada’s most unwanted men invested in me when I was a boy.”
In the early eighties Steve began to make his mark with the acclaimed folk trio Elias, Schritt and Bell. But it wasn’t until he ventured out on his own that his career stats started to shimmer. Since his first solo release in 1989, Comfort My People, Bell has released 16 CDs, three concert videos and performed over 1500 concerts across Canada, the US, India, Thailand, the Philippines, Poland, Bulgaria, Ireland, and throughout the Caribbean.
More recently, Steve’s work has won him 26 concerts with Symphony orchestras across Canada and into the US. In December 2011 a rapt, capacity crowd gathered to take in his concert with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra at Massey Hall.
In 1997, Steve was awarded the first JUNO Award for the category of Best Gospel Album. He has since received a second JUNO in 2000 and in the ensuing years has been awarded multiple Prairie Music, Western Canada Music and Covenant Awards.
With the 2012 release of his 17th career CD, Keening for the Dawn – Christmastide, Steve displays a rare longevity and commitment to his vocation. For this commitment, along with his advocacy work for the less fortunate, Steve has been awarded the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal.
Steve Bell | Short Bio | 2010
Inspired by a lack of interest from the major record labels of the day, Steve Bell took matters into his own hands and founded Signpost Music in 1989. Under the direction of Bell and his producer and business partner Dave Zeglinski, Signpost Music has grown into a healthy independent label.
Signpost’s mission is to encourage Christian faith and thoughtful living through artful word and song.
This mission is carried out through the promotion and distribution of Steve’s music and concert ministry and by the distribution of other independent artists recorded work. Signpost Music is also home to Signpost Studios, a full featured digital recording studio used for both in-house and commercial recording projects.
Quick Facts about Steve…
● raised in musical, recording and touring family, learning to play guitar in Drumheller Prison when he was 8 yrs. old (father was a federal prison chaplain.)
● member of Winnipeg’s acclaimed Elias, Schritt and Bell in early 80′s and active in Winnipeg’s studio and night-club scene throughout the decade
● since 1989 has independently released 15 solo CDs with combined sales nearing 400,000 units.
● CDs have been awarded 2 JUNOs with another two nominated
● CDs have won 2 Western Canadian Music awards, numerous Covenant and Prairie Music awards including Producer of the Year in 2002
● since 1989 has performed over 1500 concerts to over a half million people in 15 countries including Ireland, Bulgaria, India, Thailand, the Philippines, Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Poland, and throughout the US and Caribbean.
● Symphony concert has played to sold-out and capacity crowds in Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, Thunder Bay, Hamilton, Burlington, Ottawa, Saskatoon and Nashville.
● advocacy work has raised millions of dollars for organizations like World Vision, Canadian Foodgrains Bank and Compassion Canada
● has just released 16th career album Kindness / Feb. 2011
● performing Dec. 3/11 with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra at Massey Hall
Management / Dave Zeglinski